Lake Michigan-Huron, Great Lakes, USA & Canada
Welcome to the ultimate guide to Lake Michigan-Huron — things to do, where to stay, fun facts, history, stats and more. Let’s dive in!
Topics we cover in this article:
- All About Lake Michigan-Huron
- Things to Do
- Fish Species
- Where to Stay
- Vacation Planning Tools
- Lake Michigan-Huron Map
- Statistics / Weather / Helpful Links
- Shop Lake Michigan-Huron Gifts
Looking for Lake Michigan-Huron cabins or other accommodations? Save time and use this interactive map to find, compare and book at the best rates. Or explore our comprehensive list of favorite travel partners.
All About Lake Michigan-Huron
Lake Michigan and Lake Huron – two of North America’s Great Lakes – are contiguous and they share the same elevation of 577 feet above sea level. They are connected by the five-mile-wide Straits of Mackinac. Hydrologically, this makes these “two lakes” a single lake.
Some hydrologists designate the combined entity of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron as “Lake Michigan-Huron.”
We list the combined entity here to acknowledge that some consider Lake Michigan-Huron to be the world’s largest freshwater lake, measured by its combined surface area of 45,410 square miles – about 29 million acres – surpassing Lake Superior’s 20.3 million acres.
The combined entity Lake Michigan-Huron is the world’s fourth-largest lake by volume: nearly 7 billion acre-feet. The world’s largest three freshwater lakes by volume are Lake Baikal (first, in Siberia), Lake Tanganyika (second, in central Africa), and Lake Superior (third, in North America).
At Lakelubbers, we treat Lake Michigan and Lake Huron as two separate lakes, but acknowledge the combined surface area and volume as “points of interest” to our visitors.
Find Places to Stay at Lake Michigan-Huron
If you’re considering a Lake Michigan-Huron lake house rental or hotel, we’ve made it super easy to find the best rates and compare vacation accommodations at a glance. Save time using this interactive map below.
Recommended Sites to Book a Lake Michigan-Huron Vacation
If you want to take a deeper dive to find waterfront lake cabins, cottages, condos, hotels or resorts, check out our favorite Lake Michigan-Huron lodging partners.
- VRBO – Use VRBO to find the perfect lake rental home, condo, cabin, cottage or other vacation property.
- Booking.com – One of the world’s leading digital travel companies, Booking.com connects travelers to everything from cozy B&Bs to luxury resorts.
- Expedia – Expedia is a popular online travel agency with more than 140,000 lodging properties worldwide.
- Hotels.com – With more than 325,000 hotels in 19,000-plus locations, Hotels.com is an industry leader in online accommodations.
- TripAdvisor – Read traveler reviews and compare prices on hotels, vacation rentals and more at TripAdvisor.
- Trivago – Trivago helps travelers compare deals for hotels and other accommodations from a variety of booking sites.
- KAYAK – KAYAK scours hundreds of other travel websites at once to find the best deals on hotels and other travel-related services.
- RVshare –RVshare connects travelers interested in renting a motorhome with owners who have RVs to rent.
- CampSpot – Campspot offers premier RV resorts, family campgrounds, cabins and glamping options across North America.
Note: These are affiliate links so we may earn a small commission if you book through them. While there is no extra cost to you, it helps provide resources to keep our site running (thank you)! You can read our full disclosure policy here.
Lake Michigan-Huron Statistics & Helpful Links
Lake Type: Natural Freshwater Lake, Not Dammed
Surface Area: 29,062,400 acres
Shoreline Length: 5,463 miles
Normal Elevation (Full Pond): 577 feet
Maximum Depth: 923 feet
Water Volume: 6,858,776,000 acre-feet
We strive to keep the information on LakeLubbers as accurate as possible. However, if you’ve found something in this article that needs updating, we’d certainly love to hear from you! Please fill out our Content Correction form.
Shop Lake Michigan-Huron Gifts
Advertise Your Lake Michigan-Huron Business or Vacation Rental
LakeLubbers will soon offer businesses the opportunity to advertise and homeowners and property managers the ability to showcase their vacation rentals to the thousands of lake lovers searching our site daily. If you would like additional details, please contact our advertising team.
Looking for the Lake Michigan-Huron Forum?
LakeLubbers previously offered visitors the ability to create accounts and participate in lake forums. When we overhauled the site’s content management system in 2021 we had to disable those features. We’re evaluating options and welcome your comments and feedback here. We also encourage you to join our lake-lovin’ community on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
Lake Michigan-Huron Photo Gallery
New photos coming soon!
Spread the word! Share our Lake Michigan-Huron article with your fellow Lake Lubbers!