Pelican Lake-St. Louis County, Minnesota, USA
Welcome to the ultimate guide to Pelican Lake-St. Louis County — things to do, where to stay, fun facts, history, stats and more. Let’s dive in!
Topics we cover in this article:
- All About Pelican Lake-St. Louis County
- Things to Do
- Fish Species
- Where to Stay
- Vacation Planning Tools
- Pelican Lake-St. Louis County Map
- Statistics / Weather / Helpful Links
- Shop Pelican Lake-St. Louis County Gifts
Looking for Pelican Lake-St. Louis County cabins or other accommodations? Save time and use this interactive map to find, compare and book at the best rates. Or explore our comprehensive list of favorite travel partners.
All About Pelican Lake-St. Louis County
Pelican Lake lies adjacent to the small town of Orr in St. Louis County, Minnesota. Pelican Lake has 54 miles of shoreline and is peppered with 53 islands. [There are more than 10 Pelican Lakes in Minnesota; this one is the largest.]
Pelican Lake’s shoreline is extensively developed with homes, cottages, and resorts.
Pelican Lake is a relatively shallow lake: maximum depth is 38 feet, and 5,789 of its 10,945 acres of water surface are less than 15 feet in depth. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources ranks its water quality as good.
Abundant aquatic vegetation supports sport fishing. Bass, panfish, northern pike, and yellow perch are the primary sport-fish. Black crappie, bluegill, and bullhead are among the most common. Special regulations protect northern pike, largemouth and smallmouth bass.
Boating conditions and facilities are excellent. Superior National Forest, Voyageurs National Park, and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness are all within easy reach.
Birdwatching is also popular; look for eagles, grosbeaks, hawks, hummingbirds, jays, loons, osprey, and woodpeckers. Pelican Lake is named for its pelican-like shape, but is also frequented by statuesque Great White American Pelicans that like the place well enough to return each summer. For decades it’s been a stop on their flyway between Canada and the Gulf of Mexico.
Pelican Lake lodging runs mostly to cottages and cabins, according to the Resort Association, which promotes Pelican lake as “the perfect marriage between lake recreation and environmental conservation”. Area resorts specialize in family reunions, and several provide first class accommodations.
Things to Do at Pelican Lake-St. Louis County
- Cabin Rentals
- National Park
- National Forest
Fish Species Found at Pelican Lake-St. Louis County
- Black Bass
- Black Crappie
- Largemouth Bass
- Northern Pike
- Smallmouth Bass
- Yellow Perch
Find Places to Stay at Pelican Lake-St. Louis County
If you’re considering a Pelican Lake-St. Louis County lake house rental or hotel, we’ve made it super easy to find the best rates and compare vacation accommodations at a glance. Save time using this interactive map below.
Recommended Sites to Book a Pelican Lake-St. Louis County Vacation
If you want to take a deeper dive to find waterfront lake cabins, cottages, condos, hotels or resorts, check out our favorite Pelican Lake-St. Louis County lodging partners.
- VRBO – Use VRBO to find the perfect lake rental home, condo, cabin, cottage or other vacation property.
- Booking.com – One of the world’s leading digital travel companies, Booking.com connects travelers to everything from cozy B&Bs to luxury resorts.
- Expedia – Expedia is a popular online travel agency with more than 140,000 lodging properties worldwide.
- Hotels.com – With more than 325,000 hotels in 19,000-plus locations, Hotels.com is an industry leader in online accommodations.
- TripAdvisor – Read traveler reviews and compare prices on hotels, vacation rentals and more at TripAdvisor.
- Trivago – Trivago helps travelers compare deals for hotels and other accommodations from a variety of booking sites.
- KAYAK – KAYAK scours hundreds of other travel websites at once to find the best deals on hotels and other travel-related services.
- RVshare –RVshare connects travelers interested in renting a motorhome with owners who have RVs to rent.
- CampSpot – Campspot offers premier RV resorts, family campgrounds, cabins and glamping options across North America.
Note: These are affiliate links so we may earn a small commission if you book through them. While there is no extra cost to you, it helps provide resources to keep our site running (thank you)! You can read our full disclosure policy here.
Pelican Lake-St. Louis County Statistics & Helpful Links
Lake Type: Natural Freshwater Lake, Not Dammed
Water Level Control: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Surface Area: 10,945 acres
Shoreline Length: 54 miles
Normal Elevation (Full Pond): 1,288 feet
Minimum Elevation (Min Pond): 1,286 feet
Maximum Elevation (Max Pond): 1,290 feet
Maximum Depth: 38 feet
Trophic State: Eutrophic
We strive to keep the information on LakeLubbers as accurate as possible. However, if you’ve found something in this article that needs updating, we’d certainly love to hear from you! Please fill out our Content Correction form.
Shop Pelican Lake-St. Louis County Gifts
Advertise Your Pelican Lake-St. Louis County Business or Vacation Rental
LakeLubbers will soon offer businesses the opportunity to advertise and homeowners and property managers the ability to showcase their vacation rentals to the thousands of lake lovers searching our site daily. If you would like additional details, please contact our advertising team.
Looking for the Pelican Lake-St. Louis County Forum?
LakeLubbers previously offered visitors the ability to create accounts and participate in lake forums. When we overhauled the site’s content management system in 2021 we had to disable those features. We’re evaluating options and welcome your comments and feedback here. We also encourage you to join our lake-lovin’ community on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
Pelican Lake-St. Louis County Photo Gallery
New photos coming soon!
Spread the word! Share our Pelican Lake-St. Louis County article with your fellow Lake Lubbers!