Fairy Stone Lake, Virginia, USA
Welcome to the ultimate guide to Fairy Stone Lake — things to do, where to stay, fun facts, history, stats and more. Let’s dive in!
Topics we cover in this article:
- All About Fairy Stone Lake
- Things to Do
- Fish Species
- Where to Stay
- Vacation Planning Tools
- Fairy Stone Lake Map
- Statistics / Weather / Helpful Links
- Shop Fairy Stone Lake Gifts
Looking for Fairy Stone Lake cabins or other accommodations? Save time and use this interactive map to find, compare and book at the best rates. Or explore our comprehensive list of favorite travel partners.
All About Fairy Stone Lake
Virginia’s Fairy Stone Lake is home to “fairy stones,” unusual staurolite (iron aluminum silicate hydroxide) diamond-shaped crystals.
The 168-acre lake is surrounded by 4,741-acre Fairy Stone State Park, created by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The park is the largest of Virginia’s first six state parks that opened on June 15, 1936. The water at Fairy Stone Lake Dam spills over into Philpott Lake.
The State Park manages boat rentals (paddle boats and canoes) and a fee-based public swimming beach with an in-water playground for children. It also offers a conference center and amphitheater, reservable picnic shelters, cabin and yurt rentals, about a dozen walking and hiking trails, plus a group camping area, equestrian camping, and an RV-friendly campground.
Beach Trail and Lake Shore Trail are often lined with unusual, colorful mushrooms. Ranger-led programs include the “Fairy Stone Hunt” and “Fairy Houses and Gnome Homes.”
Patient anglers are rewarded with largemouth bass, black crappie, bluegill, and redear sunfish. Outboard motors are not permitted, but boats paddled or powered by electric trolling motors are.
Fairy Stone Lake is located near the Blue Ridge Parkway in Patrick County, Virginia, near its border with Franklin County. Nearby towns include Ferrum, Floyd, Martinsville, Meadows of Dan, Rocky Mount, Stanleytown and Stuart.
Those looking for a quiet family-oriented getaway will enjoy a few nights’ stay at Fairy Stone Lake – and a few more at neighboring Philpott Lake.
Things to Do at Fairy Stone Lake
- Vacation Rentals
- Cabin Rentals
- Horseback Riding
- State Park
Fish Species Found at Fairy Stone Lake
- Black Bass
- Black Crappie
- Largemouth Bass
- Redear Sunfish (Shellcracker)
Find Places to Stay at Fairy Stone Lake
If you’re considering a Fairy Stone Lake lake house rental or hotel, we’ve made it super easy to find the best rates and compare vacation accommodations at a glance. Save time using this interactive map below.
Recommended Sites to Book a Fairy Stone Lake Vacation
If you want to take a deeper dive to find waterfront lake cabins, cottages, condos, hotels or resorts, check out our favorite Fairy Stone Lake lodging partners.
- VRBO – Use VRBO to find the perfect lake rental home, condo, cabin, cottage or other vacation property.
- Booking.com – One of the world’s leading digital travel companies, Booking.com connects travelers to everything from cozy B&Bs to luxury resorts.
- Expedia – Expedia is a popular online travel agency with more than 140,000 lodging properties worldwide.
- Hotels.com – With more than 325,000 hotels in 19,000-plus locations, Hotels.com is an industry leader in online accommodations.
- TripAdvisor – Read traveler reviews and compare prices on hotels, vacation rentals and more at TripAdvisor.
- Trivago – Trivago helps travelers compare deals for hotels and other accommodations from a variety of booking sites.
- KAYAK – KAYAK scours hundreds of other travel websites at once to find the best deals on hotels and other travel-related services.
- RVshare –RVshare connects travelers interested in renting a motorhome with owners who have RVs to rent.
- CampSpot – Campspot offers premier RV resorts, family campgrounds, cabins and glamping options across North America.
Note: These are affiliate links so we may earn a small commission if you book through them. While there is no extra cost to you, it helps provide resources to keep our site running (thank you)! You can read our full disclosure policy here.
Fairy Stone Lake Statistics & Helpful Links
Lake Type: Natural Freshwater Lake, Dammed
Surface Area: 168 acres
Shoreline Length: 2 miles
Normal Elevation (Full Pond): 1,010 feet
Average Depth: 20 feet
Water Volume: 3,360 acre-feet
Completion Year: 1936
Water Residence Time: 32 Days
Drainage Area: 23 sq. miles
Trophic State: Mesotrophic
We strive to keep the information on LakeLubbers as accurate as possible. However, if you’ve found something in this article that needs updating, we’d certainly love to hear from you! Please fill out our Content Correction form.
Shop Fairy Stone Lake Gifts
Advertise Your Fairy Stone Lake Business or Vacation Rental
LakeLubbers will soon offer businesses the opportunity to advertise and homeowners and property managers the ability to showcase their vacation rentals to the thousands of lake lovers searching our site daily. If you would like additional details, please contact our advertising team.
Looking for the Fairy Stone Lake Forum?
LakeLubbers previously offered visitors the ability to create accounts and participate in lake forums. When we overhauled the site’s content management system in 2021 we had to disable those features. We’re evaluating options and welcome your comments and feedback here. We also encourage you to join our lake-lovin’ community on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
Fairy Stone Lake Photo Gallery
New photos coming soon!
Spread the word! Share our Fairy Stone Lake article with your fellow Lake Lubbers!